Friday, November 30, 2012

It's not your metabolism, its you.

Okay, I hate to be the barrier of bad news but your recent love handles are not the lack of a "slow metabolism." Its you, what your eating and how much or how little exercise your getting. Don't feel like you are alone in this boat, I was there too. "I have a slow metabolism" is what I would say to deflect from the fact that I was frustrated because I hadn't lost any weight and I was constantly at the gym and eating "heathly." I also blamed stress, moving and starting a new job but that's another story.

The real fault looking back was the amount of calories I thought I was in eating versus the actual amount. This is where a food journal comes into play if you are trying to loose weight because there is no mistake in how much you eat. It is there on paper in black in white like an agreement to yourself.

When we are frustrated because the scale hasn't budged or even gone up we need some where to point the blame but like they say there is one finger pointing at the scale and three pointing back at you. I began to reflect on the months when I was struggling with my weight and now understand that it wasn't my metabolism but the fact that I was consuming WAY MORE calories than I thought.

We on average consume almost twice the amount of calories we think we are in taking. This is basic math people...calories in - calories out = a consistent scale or if you are burning more calories than you are eating your scale will probably be less over time.

Don't believe me? Take a piece of paper and put down that bagel, muffin or whatever it is you are currently snacking on at your desk and write down for the rest of the day what time you eat and what you eat and I mean everything. Even that extra bite of someone else's afternoon doughnut (50 calories!). You will be surprised how much you are actually consuming and come to terms with the fact that its you and not your metabolism...

Tracking what you eat could be an important key to staying on track this holiday season which is why I will be launching Nicole's Fitness Advent Calendar starting December 1st. Each day I will post a tip or exercise you can do over the holiday season. No chocolate here people, just tips!

Stay tuned! A lot more great holiday tips and articles to come. I'm going back to the library today to get MORE books. I'm addicted and learning a lot which will enable me to share great information with you about health and fitness. If you'd like to jump start your healthy eating this weekend shop the Sequel eStore for Vega, MacaSure, and ChlorEssence products and receive free shipping on all orders over $100!

Happy Friday everyone!

Peace out.
Nic


No comments:

Post a Comment