Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hide the SCALE!

For the last two weeks I have made great progress and feel good about my new routine. The one thing I was struggling with is two weekends coming up at the end of June where I will be in Vancouver for two parties and how it will affect my groove. Usually I would focus on the negative and subconsciously throw myself into a rut but not this time. I decided when I started writing this today that two things were going to change. One, I was no longer going to weigh myself for the next 30 days and two, I was going to keep with the plan and have a new plan for the weekends when I am gone. I will just front load my workouts so I have two rest days on the weekends I'm be gone and bam! I have a solution. Boy I can accomplish a lot before 8.

Let me tell you, going away can be tough if you think it will be tough. YOU and only you can decide whether you will make the best out of the situation and move forward or be miserable and complain. Let's be real. No one likes a negative Nancy. You may think I'm nuts worrying about two weekends away but for those of you who have found a groove, you can understand where I am coming from. It is hard because you are scared you won't be able to get back intoo a routine and their won't be healthy options. This is never the case.

Speaking from experience, I might have ruined one of the most amazing family vacations I've ever had the opportunity of going on. It was in September last year, 2 months before I was suppose to be on stage at the Sandra Wickham Fall Classic and I was going to Hawaii for a week with my family. I am 26 and the last time we went on a family get away of this magnitude was 14 years ago when my Mom and Dad surprised my sister and I with a cruise to Alaska. We did lots of small fun trips over the years together but life gets busy and this trip had been a big deal.

Looking back one of the main reasons I had been so crappy once I got there was due to my crazy work schedule that had me on the road for over two months and I didn't see the end in sight. Once I got to Hawaii, I was dying of heat and going to the gym twice a day wasn't my ideal situation and neither was prepping food. I thought I ruined the trip because I was always tired or a little cranking because the heat was getting to me and I was always coming or going to the YMCA. It was a 15 minute walk from our hotel and I was there 3 hours a day. The best part about going to the gym was when my dad would come with me for at least one of my workouts and do his own thing. I was proud of him for continuing his fitness while on vacation and two years later he has lost more than 40 lbs. He looks great. 

My point is...that if I can survive Hawaii and eating well and working out there is no reason I can't eat well and enjoy myself for two very special occasions. Life is not about living in the gym and being skinny. It is about feeling your best and doing what you can. My intention isn't to be skinny but to be healthy and find a balance. There are always options and when you get into a groove life happens and it is your chance to make the best of the situation. Things will always come up and if you can overcome and make a plan you will succeed and that is exactly what I plan on doing. 

As far as hiding the scale. It goes to echoing my earlier statement about being thin. My goal here, post competition and during the "off season" is not to be skinny. I just want to be healthy and be happy and that is why I have decided to put the scale away. It doesn't matter what number appears but that when my alarm goes off at 6, I get up and go to the gym. Its the dedication to your goals that matter and as long as you are committed and doing what it takes you will not only see results but feel them on the inside.  Life has enough pressure that you don't need to put even more on yourself to weigh a certain amount. It should be in your hands what you want and how you feel. I know I feel like a million bucks on my drive home from the gym. Once I get there I could stay there for hours! I know that wouldn't be productive and would tucker me out for the rest of the week but that is a whole different post for another time!

Just remember that different things work for different people but at the end of the day, life is important and you can't push everything and everyone out to look a certain way. You will be miserable. Set small goals and find balance. It will lead to a more enjoyable time and you'll love the way you look and feel!

Have an awesome Tuesday and get rid of your scales with me for awhile! Lets see if we can make it. Like this if your in it with me.

Train. Eat. Work. Sleep. Repeat!

xoxox
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment