Friday, August 17, 2012

Found: One morning cardio person - check!

Today my alarm went of at 5:15...am...and my plan was to be at the gym by 5:30 so that I could have a little company while doing my cardio. With the Sandra Wickham Fall Classic less than 12 weeks away, it is time to get down to business and that means early morning cardio. Lets just say I have a little extra love in places that I need to work on but I've done it once and know I can do it again.

When I first start at Odyssey, my gym in Victoria, I was quiet and kept to myself. The gym is quite the community of people and everyone knows each other. It's kind of like Cheers but instead of a bar its a gym. I recognized some people from the competition world and a few weeks ago, a lady I had wanted to say hi to, came and said hi to me! She is always at the gym and placed 1st in the Sandra Wickham last year in Figure Masters. We were at the same competition and didn't even know it. Needless to say we have A LOT in common and A LOT to chat about. Jill is currently in her off season but works out like a beast and is in great shape. She is very motivating and a friendly face and will be a good person to know in the gym. She is the one that gave me the motivation to set my alarm clock for 5:15. The other reason I was up before sunlight was I have to be in a very small bikini in less than 12 weeks...

Sitting here writing this knowing that my cardio is done for the day is a great feeling.  One I am going to enjoy. Today when we were chatting away I mentioned that competing and staying fit in general takes two things. Patience and commitment. If you are committed to your goal and have patience to go through the motions you will see results and that is what I know I need to do. After competing in 2 competitions last year I have a better understanding of my body and what works and doesn't work. Stressing doesn't work so I have learned to have patience and respect the process. For my body it takes at least 2 months before I will see results and then in the last month I lean out like crazy. I can ever pin point the exact day when I know my metabolism has kicked into high gear. I know because even with 7 meals a day, I'm still peckish.

Now that I have someone that I know will be at the gym definitely helps whether we do our cardio side by side in silence its great to have a partner in fitness. I would definitely recommend finding one. But the thing to remember is that whether that person is going to be there, I still have to believe and rely on my own strength to get out of bed when its the middle of October and pitch black. It is going to be a process but with my support system and everything around me I am ready to train again. Last week I didn't think so because I had gotten so pumped and anxious to start that when I kept waiting to start I lost my motivation for a minute until I realized that I should just enjoy my time off and training will start when it starts. Working and training will take some balance but I feel confident I can make it work.

Having a great support system helps and Brett has been very supportive and understanding of my dream to continue competing. He joined the gym with me so he can come when he likes and do his own thing or we can workout together and is going to help me stay on track with my meals but eating healthy with me. Obviously not to my extreme but within reason. He jokes that if I don't do it then he is going to go into the Sandra Wickham because someones got to represent. I'm really lucky to have someone that is as supportive as he is and with him working and going to school the gym might be our weekly date night. I'm actually kind of excited about it!

Anyways, here is to 12 weeks out on Saturday!

Eat. Sleep. Train. Repeat. Happy Friday everyone.

xoxo
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment