Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Dutch Oven isn't what you think.....

Okay, So I've been writing this post for 3 days but I can't seem to kick this cold and I took a few days off from the gym. I don't usually like taking time off from the gym but I've learned the importance of rest and recovery. After three days off I needed a good sweat and on Monday I hit the gym and must have sweat out 3 cups. Gross I know but it helped take my mind off of feeling bad and after a hot bath I felt a little better.

I need to get better because I'm going back to work in two weeks and you know what that means. Time to dust off the cooler and get back into the routine of prepping and packing. On Monday, we hit up Costco to stock up on some essentials such as Agave syrup, frozen berries, egg whites, eggs, yogurt and a bunch of other basics. We've also started steaming up veggies, making rice or quinoa and a form of protein so that it is in the fridge ready to go.

We are trying to find a balance of what works because life gets busy and with me going back to work full time and training in the evenings and weekends and Brett full time at school and volunteering it is important to have meals and snacks prepared.  As you can see our fridge is stocked with pre-portioned or prepped veggies. Finding a routine is key but so far things are going well.

Brett has been cooking up a storm which is amazing because I get to benefit from all his delicious cooking We've had this dutch oven for almost a year but have only recently starting using it for, well, everything! For those of you who think a dutch oven is something that has to do with trapping gross smells under the covers, it's not.

A dutch oven is a great thing to have. We leave ours right on the stove top. I made this amazing curry lentil and bean stew the other day. Delish but it wasn't as good as Brett's homemade Salsa. The kitchen smelt amaz-tastic. He sauteed some of the veggies in the DO and then blended them in the Vitamix. After blending he put the mixture back in the DO to let some of the juice evaporate. He's becoming quite the chef of raw eats. I'm such a lucky girl.

Happy hump day people and please wash your hands!

Oh, and boot camps starting at the end of April (email me for details - nicolewilsonfitness@gmail.com)

xo

Nic out!

No comments:

Post a Comment