Monday, January 14, 2013

Eating clean and staying lean

Extra weight isn't something any of us plan. As I always say, and those who I've taught will know this but, life happens. We go through a break up or loose our job and this invisible tire starts to inflate and we are constantly checking the scale or sucking our stomachs in when looking in the mirror. The thing I've come to realize is that no matter how many times to step on the scale shedding clothes to see if the scale is wrong the truth is we've put on a few pounds and the scale isn't lying.

When you get to a point where you know the scale isn't lying and you decide to make a lifestyle change you won't have to suck it in or shed extra clothes in hopes the scale will go down a few lb's if you take your socks off. It will be the real deal. 

Weight isn't something I really paid close attention to until I began competing but my obsession with maintaining my figure and what I eat was the real issue. Going from 0 to 60 is a big transition. One day you have what your going to eat for 12 weeks and the next you are free to eat as you please. You are a free agent. Since my last competition, I have done really well and maintained a weight I am happy with.

One thing I had to come to terms with is that food is fuel for our daily lives and not meant as a reward. If we are constantly rewarding ourselves for a good weeks worth of eating what does that teach us? I feel that rewarding ourselves with food is a root of the problem. Why not reward yourself with a workout or a coffee with friends? Use exercise are your outlet and not food. 

I've been reading a lot and my latest find is Shrink Yourself, Break free from emotional eating forever! No, I am not reading this because I want to loose weight but because I want to help train myself to control my feelings towards foods. Like most of you, I am an emotional eater. I may be an emo-eater but I never binge eat or eat things that are necessarily bad but eat when I don't really need to. For example, I have started to notice I eat when I am unoccupied, when someone else is eating even though I am not hungry, when I am upset or because I can't find satisfaction with what I am eating.

I just started it but so far the book has some great insights and I am really looking forward to reading more and finding out how I can change my ways and my relationship with food. Many of you may be shocked by this admission but I am not perfect and share similar struggles just like you. Since Brett and I began our commitment to organic and nutritious foods I find it hard to ever binge because there isn't any "bad foods" in our house. With both of us being on the same page and sharing values on food and being healthy, it has definitely helped and I am committed to eating clean and staying lean.

Hopefully my admissions can help you know that even people like me share common issues when it comes to weight, self image or whatever it may be. Everyday is a new day but it's what you do each day that counts. Make an effort each day for the long haul not just that summer bikini.

Good luck this week. With a little determination and will power, I know you can do it!

xo
Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment