Monday, November 25, 2013

They gave me a mic...

Sunday was the Vancouver Historic Half Marathon at Stanley Park and I was asked to lead the runners warm up. It was late Friday night when I got an email from my old employer, Skechers, who said the other girl had gotten sick and they needed a replacement. I had never led a warm up but thought it couldn't be that different from teaching boot camp.

At first I was super nervous. What would people think? How would it work? Would people like me? All these thoughts that were roadblocks to a cool opportunity so I ignored the negative and agreed. I spent most of Saturday on Youtube watching "runners warm up" videos and I was starting to feel really good about this. I decided it was going to be a blast.

It was Sunday morning and I got all ready to head over to Stanley Park, cranked the tunes and went over my routine in my head. This was going to be awesome. I showed up and met with Alex from Skechers and he introduced me to the Race Director from the Try Events and the MC for the run. Everyone was super nice and the event had an amazing turn out.

Trying not to think about the amount of people, they gave me the run down and it was almost time.

I was handed a mic, yes, they gave me a microphone and I was introduced to the group of runners. The music started and the next thing I knew is I was leading my first runners warm up. I tried to get the crowd awake and warm and was loving every minute of it. I think it was an out of body experience. This was the first warm up I had ever done and I can already list off a million things I would have done differently but now I know for next time and I want to do more of these in the future.


A big Thanks to Skechers one of my brand sponsors and to Try Events for allowing me this opportunity and Congrats to all the runners.

Eat. Sweat. Smile. Repeat.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment