Friday, March 25, 2011

Calluses, Calf Raises and Cardio, oh my!

It's FRIDAY!!! Yippieeee, but I will admit I'm normal and it was a little hard to get up. For the past few days I have felt like I was fighting a cold off but I made it to the gym and completed my cardio and can enjoy my morning breakfast before I have weight workout with Dave. Today I have a nice treat planned for this afternoon, a nice deep tissue massage to work on my pec minor (aka. the boob muscle). Awkward...
Yesterday we did some heavy lifts and back. I did my highest weight to date, a 125 lb dead lift which I am stoked about! What I'm not stoked about is the lovely calluses forming on my hands. I use to get these golfing and they were so gross and stung under hot water (my dad is telling me to suck it up!). I am sure as my skin gets use to lifting these heavier weights, because they will get heavier, it won't be as bad.
Dave and I also did a bunch of calf raises or should I said he had me do a bunch of calf raises. It burned, is all I really have to say about that. Don't believe me...go stand on the stairs (in your runners, not socks). Thurst your heels up and down 20 times and hold at the top of 20 for 10 slow counts then do another set with no rest. This round is 30 times up and down, really pushing on the way up in fast bursts, and again at the top hold for a count of 10 and repeat one final time...if you feel like crying or dying...you did it correctly.
When we are in the gym we are so focussed on getting a "six pack" or "toning our butt" but we never really train our calf muscles. The truth is the calf muscle can stand quite a bit of weight it would surprise you  and we should spend a little time every day stretching or training them. If you are training your calves, don't forget to stretch afterwards.
I also had a photo shoot this week which was very exciting. I have only seen a few pictures, but it was an amazing day and a lot of fun. Here is a sneak peek...sorry dad. Just remember it's only a swimsuit....I'm no swimsuit model yet, obviously because I had no idea what to do with my hands, hence my random left hand on the sand. Oh well. Practice right!

One small goal I accomplished yesterday was managing to get all my meals in. It seems small but eating every 2.5 hours can be hard, especially when each meal requires a 4 oz piece of meat or protein shake...Me and my cooler have become BFF's. Oh and in addition to my meal plan changing, my coach would like me to track my progress by taking weekly photos (front, side and back) becasuse I am 9 weeks out and this is where all the change will really begin especially with my cardio being increased. I am debating posting these because I am my biggest critic, but I'll sleep on it. You all might just have to wait until May for the big reveal at the River Rock. That way I also won't look like a vampire that crawed up on the beach because I'll have two coats of spray tan and making Snooki proud!

Side Note: My day just got 100 times better and I had to add in a quick THANK YOU to Briana, one of my besties, who just made my day. Right now I have been paying for drop in at random gyms becuase I didn't have a pass anywhere. Drop-in can be anywhere from 10 - 28 bucks depending on your prefences between community centres (over packed and less equipment) or Steve Nash (lots of equipment, but $$$). This can add up especially when you are doing 5 days a week cardio, which will eventually go up to 7 days a week for me, and paying for parking etc. Briana just called and told me that I now have a pass to the Richmond Oval so that I can train there. Yiiiiipppppppeeee! I am so thankful to have a great group of friends and support system. It is great to know that people have your back.  Thank you so much Bri! This helps out so much you don't even know. It made my entire day/weekend!

Happy Friday Everyone.

Eat. Train. Sleep. Repeat!

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment